Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Britain Museum of American Art


I recently visited the New Britain Museum of American Art. It is a great space here in Connecticut and has a surprising collection of representational painters and Illustrators. Saturday mornings are free admission (although it's worth the money anytime). Below are some of my favorites from their permanent collection. If you are ever in the Hartford area, make some time for this great place.


John Singer Sargent - Miss Cara Burch (1888)

John Singer Sargent - Tarragona (1908)

Robert Henri - Spanish Girl of Segovia (1918)

N.C. Wyeth - Illustration from Treasure Island (1911)

Maxfield Parrish - Dusk (1942)

Childe Hassam - Le Jour du Grand Prix (1888)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Nice! I almost went there in June, but the train ride from Manhattan was too much for me. Did you see the Graydon Parrish 9/11 tribute mural?

Ryan Mellody said...

I did see the mural. It was huge and a real masterpiece (although not my exact cup of tea). He has a real handle on form, and everything seemed almost more than life-like.